Monday, December 7, 2009

Chasing Shadows

I've been staying at my folks since surgery last Thursday which has given me ample time to bond with Lily, their new puppy. Lily can be calm and cuddly or comic relief - depending on her mood. We've napped together several times. She's licked every corner of my face and hands more than once. And I've watched her chase shadows for much longer than I expected.

When sunlight pours through the windows, reflections on the oriental rug next to where I rest captivate her. She races around the rug chasing shadows, digging at shadows, and even barking at them at times. I'm humored by her persistent pursuit of grey adumbrations. It's cheap therapy.

But while I watched her the other day, I thought about all the mental shadows I chase, all the worries I entertain. And I imagined God being as stumped by my obsession with worry as I am with Lily's need to dig at shadows.

It's easy to shake my head and say, "Silly girl, your digging at nothing! You're mesmerized by mere sunlight dancing on the floor." But then I wonder what God would say to me,"Oh princess daughter of mine, trust what you can't see. Trust this day to me. Don't allow simple shadows to disrupt the flow of peace I long to send your way."

So as I heal during this busy time of the year, I'm going to try to stop chasing shadows of doubt and purpose to trust the God of light who shines on us each day. Laying on this sofa nestled close to a wall of windows, I will bask in His light instead of fretting in the dark.

"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you."
(Is. 60: 1-3)

No comments: