Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Day After





We did it. And I feel a deep smile inside.

Sam and I loaded a rental van with Nathan's belongings and drove them to Athens yesterday. Between the three of us, everything made it to his room in his new apartment in almost mint condition.

A few weeks ago, I decided to rent a vehicle for Nathan's move back to school since I began to wonder if a mini SUV type ride would be easier for my bad leg to maneuver. I drove one for a few months last fall and have had more trouble driving since changing back to a compact car. So I decided to take on the move with the different car to test my leg. It proved a worth while experiment.

The nuance of change helped.

I didn't get a mini SUV due to a mix up at the rental place. But sitting tall in the driver's seat of a new Chrysler van proved the same point. The change in position relieved the stress my ankle doesn't manage well. The main point here: change relieved stress.

I often think of change creating stress. But sometimes change diffuses the very pressure we can't seem to let go of ourselves. Or at least that's what I'm thinking today, the day after I moved my oldest son into his first apartment.

He needs to fly, to bust loose, to leave this place called home. Because if he stayed, the pressure would build.

So Sam and I packed it all up, drove to the new place, and even smiled when we were done. And today I'll thank God for change, and growth, and good things to come.

No comments: