Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hope Flies



Last August, I met a writer who encouraged me to stay consistent with my blog. I left the encounter determined. Within a week, however, three creative endeavors unfolded that have distracted me ever since. I've justified my absence with the excuse, "At least I'm staying creative." But I'm not sure it counts.

Bottom line, the juggle remains a challenge.

After much prodding from my niece and nephew last summer, however, I decided to plan a coffee shop gig sometime this fall. Truth: I put off picking a date due to gnawing fear. Resurrecting music I hadn't performed in about five years overwhelmed my mito deprived brain fuses.

But as Labor Day weekend began, three affirmative emails arrived in my inbox letting me know a song I wrote will be used, a story I wrote will be published, and a local paper had decided to highlight mito disease, interviewing me for the article. Since the song was written for the Foundation for Mitochondrial Medicine, they asked if I'd schedule the coffee gig only a few weeks later, during Mitochondrial Awareness Week.

The concert deadline wouldn't have created as much stress if we hadn't already decided to take a trip to Philly the following weekend to see my 90 yr. old grandparents. The trip combined a college tour for Sam so the travel plus leg work required extra recovery time once home. (More on that soon!)

Suffice it to say, it's been a big month

I haven't blogged much, but I've overcome fears; I've walked far enough to end up in tears, yet rested again to take the next step. And that's where I find myself again today. Resting and waiting to take the next step.

I ended the concert Friday night by singing the song I wrote in honor of Hope Flies, a benefit held once a year to raise money to fund a cure for Mitochondrial Disease. And since I'm better when I'm singing and creating, even if my legs get tired in the process, I'll close by adding a recording of the song. It's my favorite right now.

Check out the event. Check out the song. Cause Hope Flies.

H o p e F l i e s C a t c h t h e C u r e


Hope Flies by SusanSchreerDavis

No comments: