Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mitochondrial Awareness Week (part 1)


Mitochondrial Awareness Week began two days ago. I'm late joining the discussion because I battle mitochondrial disease. Last weeks energy allotment and part of this weeks went to the great furniture exchange that took place when a doctor decided my grandmother will never return to her assisted living apartment last Wednesday. I received an influx of furniture Thursday and have been sorting through it ever since.

I used to clean out drawers and closets with ease. I used to carry things up and down stairs without thought. Now I wonder which step will lead to the one too many that will land me in front of the TV nursing undesired pain.

My joints held up better than I expected over the weekend, but as my husband said Sunday night, "It's going to take you a week to recover."

I just couldn't put thoughts on the page yesterday. Too much fog to write. Too much tired to concentrate. Joints that turned to jello due to too much activity were in need of rest to coagulate once again.

I'm getting there.

So in honor of mito awareness week, I'll begin by posting a photo taken at the event, Hope Flies, a yearly fund raiser for mito disease. Two of my favorite mito moms joined the fun and we snapped a fuzzy picture:



Tina and Lauri both have kids who have battled mito since birth. Their stories are far more intense than mine and I find great strength spending time with them and hearing how they manage the daily challenges we face.

And since I have to keep this short today, I'm going to close by linking to a video created by "MitoAction and students from CDIA in Boston". Take a minute and watch:


You'll understand our lives just a little bit more.

And no matter how my mito cooperate on one day verses another, I try to lean into these truths: He is my source and my strength. My song in the night. My joy in the day.

Check out Susan Schreer Davis on Itunes!

No comments: