Saturday, January 12, 2013

Confessions of a Knee Scootin', Star Wars Bootin', Highlighted Dirty Blonde

I'm making progress, enjoying the purple walls in my nieces room about ten minutes from my home. I transferred locations Thursday night to be closer to friends who drove me to my post op appointment across town on Friday. By days end, I had a new black boot that wraps my lower leg and reminds me of something Star Wars.

Between my knee scooter and my star wars boot, new life flows in these veins.

Many have asked about my knee scooter and since my computer's not letting me upload photos right now, I'll post one from another site: KneeWalker Shop






Having purchased a walker and even leaned on it in public, using the knee scooter took me back in time. Instead of feeling like I'd aged prematurely, I felt like a kid at Christmas. My oldest son dropped me and my new scooter at Kohl's one evening prior to surgery and left to run an errand. As I waited for him to return, I rolled up and down the sidewalks with the breeze blowing against my skin and enough speed to thrill this woman who often crawls at a turtle pace.

I highly recommend this mobility tool, even though I just lost my balance turning it around and stepped hard on the foot I'm not supposed to put any weight on. It's most helpful, but I may need a helmet before it's over. For now, the Star Wars boot seems to have saved me from damage. But oh the pain once again.

I'm armed well for the coming weeks, but still frail. About the time I feel stronger and able, something like that off balance step sends me reeling. And I wonder if I've done damage to the surgery site or what other wrong step I'll take in the coming weeks. I even sat most of the day after traveling to and from a post op visit yesterday, yet still ended the day in worse shape than the day before.

When my boys were little, I thought about all the moments their safety could be out of my control; the times they could run into the street when I wasn't looking or wander off in a mall when I was distracted. And I used to pray that God would place angels in those moments before they even happened.

Is that the thinking of an OCD mom?

I don't know. I just know this world is so unpredictable and each step uncertain when not grounded in faith that keeps our eyes focused not on what we see but on what is unseen. (2 Cor. 4:18) So tonight as I get ready for bed, I'll pray over my tomorrow. Pray for balance, patience, wisdom, and even an angel to keep me from tottering over when I take that wrong step. Cause I need more than a cool knee scooter and Star Wars boot to get me through. I need His divine touch and constant presence guiding each day.

Check out Music by Susan Schreer Davis on Itunes!

2 comments:

amylake said...

My boys said that scooter looks COOL!

Doesn't sound OCD to me, just sounds like a loving, caring mommy.

Hugs!

Unknown said...

Your boys are right!! Praying for you!