Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Savoring Another Seven - This Time in Years

Hubby and I are sharing late morning coffee far across the table from each other. He has the plague and I desire health. The sofa afforded a decent nights sleep after pain pills dulled a sharp pain in my back. I pulled muscle in my right shoulder blade yesterday while adjusting my ponytail. Breathing became a challenge. And I wondered if that meant I shouldn't be wearing a ponytail at 43 years of age.

Don't have that answer but we're both a little better today!

We celebrated seven years of marriage Monday night. Seven. Years. I didn't make it past six years and four months last go round. A brain tumor cut my journey with the artist short. And now I'm married to a GA Tech grad who grew up on a farm in south Georgia and lettered in sports in college.

Polar opposites. Very. Different. Men. Which is why it's taken us seven years to figure things out.

But we splurged at The Melting Pot Monday night and as I drooled over the memory, the name took on more meaning. Our families will probably never blend the way we hoped. But after time together on Saturday, I recognized a new peace among us all. Time has melted hearts, leading to greater acceptance.

But seven years? Really? Had I known it would take that long, I might never have walked down the aisle.

One thing I know, God cares more about molding me into His likeness than keeping me comfortable. Living with the artist brought my creative soul to life. My sensitivity had a purpose, an outlet, after years of just stirring confusion.

The Tech grad has done just the opposite. After years of indulging my emotional side, God has used him to bring greater balance. I haven't liked it at times. I've often asked, "How many care buttons must I turn down before I get it?"

But I'm stronger now. More balanced. Less affected by what people think. It really is good. And the Tech guy with a writer's soul has been a crucial part of that.

So I'm grateful for understanding after seven hard years. For a night at the Melting Pot where we laughed, grew, and remembered why we fell in love.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." (Ecc. 4:12)

PS - I read this to hubby and in true GA Tech fashion he replied, "I have a name... It's Don." : )

No comments: