Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Pursuit of Balance

I had an appointment with Dr. Re, a neurologist, Tuesday. He checks on me every few months. While no one has been able to pin point a specific medical cause for my walking struggles, I rarely leave his office without something of value.

On Tuesday, however, I waited with low expectations.

I sprained a ligament in my right ankle, little by little over time this spring, until one fatal step left me unable to walk or drive without pain in early May. After the initial swelling subsided, I realized the special shoes I wear that help me walk were actually part of the problem. My shoes have a rocking bottom that enable my weak ankles to move forward with ease. But they turn the ankles in just enough to stress the inner ligaments in the process. I spent about four days in flip flops last week before my feet said, "No more." So I'm facing a shoe dilemma that has me a bit stymied... and maybe a little down.

I didn't say much to Dr. Re because I knew he didn't have any answers for me. I told him I'd had a few good walking days after sitting still to which he responded, "You need exercise."

I replied, "Maybe I'm just trying to find balance."

His next words made me laugh out loud, "Women always seek balance. Men, on the other hand, are unilateral. They see something and they just go for it."

With two short sentences he offered great insight into my life and marriage. He explained the neurological reasoning behind the difference which I can't relay here with any accuracy since I didn't need the neurological explanation.

I live with three men.

My husband is focused on making our store a success. Suffice it to say, that's his life right now. My oldest son wants to graduate with a performing arts seal on his diploma next May. To accomplish his goal, he must take Economics and Government online this summer. He even saved his own money to pay for the classes. My youngest son zeroed in on entering a magnet high school program last year so he could play lacrosse. And he did just that. He bought his own equipment and lived with that stick in his hand most of the year.

And in the midst of their pursuits, as Dr. Re said, I've been the one seeking balance, as in family verses store; exercise coupled with rest; academics balanced by fun; and busy life quieted by time with God.

They do need me. I pursue balance, both literally (due to weak ankles) and spiritually, while they run after life.

Interesting.

Perhaps this is another glimpse into why a great writer once penned, "Two are better than one because they have a good return for their work." (Ecc. 4: 9 NIV)

1 comment:

AJ Macc said...

Great insight into why God made us so different and then beckoned us to be in relationship!