Monday, June 1, 2009

My New Friends

I just survived one of those gloriously full weekends. My legs aren't up to par and my head hurts, but my mind is a whirl. So before I go back to bed after an early morning dental appointment, I'll write.

Nathan danced in two recitals last week because he participated in two tap classes this year. I tried to limit him to one. Didn't like the fact that his teachers had more pull over my desire for less activity. But when I watched him dance, I understood.

On Thursday, he held a mic and mouthed the first verse and chorus to the country tune, "Be My Baby Tonight" while one tapper started their routine. Before long his feet were moving fast and my mom feelers almost burst my heart wide open. On Friday night, he impersonated Elvis. He was the cool guy in a fifties soda shop, dancing with all the girls.

A few weekends ago, he sat at home with a high fever uploading CD's into Itunes. When I asked him about his day, he told me, "I spent some time listening to Vivaldi and reading Lee Strobel's The Case for a Creator."

When his feet got moving on stage, Mr. Professor met Mr. Performer and I relished the balance.

On Saturday, I found a pair of shoes, grocery shopped, and finished stocking our store with products from another shipment. I was bone tired when we drove home, but about burst in two again when I searched a random place in the car Don drives and found my CD tracks that had gone missing. A local worship pastor had asked me to sing a particular song Sunday morning that I can only perform with background tracks. God gave me what I needed right when I needed it (after a two day search) and I was so thankful.

On Sunday, I played and sang for the Sunday service, grabbed lunch (with the money I earned selling CD's!), and then headed south of Atlanta to hear my nephew play in his level three Suzuki graduation piano recital.

Somewhere in the midst of it all, I shared my latest revelation with my family: Late Saturday night, as I functioned on fumes, I decided that ants are actually my friends. They insist on cleaning my dishes when I'm busy else where. In my former life, I thought they were an indication of my failure as a housewife. Late Saturday, I realized they're my new friends.

Sammy, my rising sophomore, had only one response, "Mom, do you remember last week when we decided that any epiphany moments occurring between the hours of 11 pm and 10 am are considered void? I'm betting you came up with this during those hours. So... it doesn't count."

Hmmm. He has a point. But I sure like embracing those creepy crawly black things as friends rather than predators. In the midst of non stop activity, it just makes life easier.

"God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the live stock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good." (Gen 1: 24)

I'm just agreeing with God.

Now... back to bed.

No comments: