Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Awakening Wonder


A woman from the care team at church called over a month ago and asked how they might help me with life. I struggled to answer but then blurted, "Do you think someone would help me decorate for Christmas?"

A week or two later she sent me an email. Three girls from my October Bible study group (Erin, Sarah, and Bethany pictured above) offered their time. They came over Wednesday night a week ago and started the unveiling.

They put my tree together and filled it with twenty years worth of ornaments. They hung ornate angels on my curtain rods, wrapped plastic, aging garland around my railing, and covered most surfaces in my living room with Santas, snowmen, and nativity sets.

It was a huge step forward.

Boxes still covered the floor, however, when I left for Athens the next day to hear Nathan sing in the annual UGA Hodgson School of Music Christmas Concert. My sister came to help with the driving and after a slow start in rush hour traffic, we were seated in the handicap section where my leg could stretch out with ease.

My tears began soon after the music started. The familiar songs performed with a full orchestra and 150-200 voices, carried me above the ordinary to the place where wonder awakens and hushed holiness prevails.

Between decorating with my memory filled Christmas stash and listening to the familiar story sung with musical excellence, I realized why I love this frenzied time of year. It beckons us to awaken wonder; to revel in the mystery of the divine.

"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." (Is. 9:2) "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be upon his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end."(Is 9:6-7)


During the intermission, a sophomore student leaned over to me and said, "This may seem weird, but I have to ask if you ever worked at Camp Greystone." Sarah had taken some of my Broadway music classes at camp when I served as Music Director there years ago. Surprised by the connection, we enjoyed old memories. She hung around after the concert and met Nathan and some of his friends. I enjoyed visiting with them almost as much as I enjoyed the concert. Pictured here: Nathan, Jenny, Devon, Sarah, and Grace.



As my sister and I drove through Athens on our way home, I checked my messages. Don had called during the concert. Our daughter-in-law, Misty, was in labor. Within the hour, she gave birth to a baby girl, Penny Louise. I ended my evening at Piedmont hospital where I got to see baby Penny, only hours old, whose birth reminded me of the one we celebrate now.

The King of Kings. The Lord of Lords. A tiny baby and creator of the ends of the earth.

It all just awakens wonder in me. And I'm grateful we sing, we decorate, we pause for a season to bask in the miracle of Emmanuel, God with us.

No comments: