Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Talking to Mountains and Mito Moms at Grace 17:20

Mito moms at Grace 17:20
We sat in dim, elegant lighting around white table linens. Thirteen of us, once Lauri and I found our way. A white rose adorned the middle, in honor of Ainsley who lost her battle to mito just last week. I didn't know everyone that well. But I drove across town to simply sit with moms who face what I face - and more - every day.

They speak mito speak. They understand the financial stress. They buy CoQ10, carnitine, riboflavin, and other ingredients to mix the "mito cocktail" for their kids. Their children battle seizures, asthma, kidney issues, autism, muscle weakness, and more. They can't handle too much heat or too much cold. Some require wheelchairs while others continue in physical therapy to stay strong.

The daily walk requires a different kind of strength. A different kind of faith. A surrender to a plan not our own.

I found this Bible verse on the restaurant website when I looked up directions. And I've been thinking about ever since. You can find it at this link:
http://www.grace1720.com/aboutus.html
( matt 17:20) "I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed,
you can say to this mountain, 'move from here to there' and it will move.
Nothing will be impossible for you."

Those words confuse me sometimes cause I've talked to plenty of mountains that haven't seemed to move. Yet the verse says if we have the tiniest of faith, we can talk to mountains (or large impassable mounds of rock and dirt) and they'll listen. They'll even move... as in out-of-our-way move.

Every mom at that table faces mountains we long to see head on their way. And while I'm not sure what that shift would look like in the tangible, I know being with them gave me strength to keep conversing with my mountains; to tell them to go; to believe there's more than life in the shadows on this side.

"Nothing will be impossible for you."

That's a big statement in light of what everyone faces. But it's a promise I'm soaking in today after sitting at Grace 17:20 with moms like me... moms fighting everyday mito mountains, even when armed with only mustard seed faith.

No comments: