Thursday, May 24, 2012

Worship, a Party, and Egg Cracking Fun

Party remnants sit on my kitchen table. Plastic liners lay on my back porch. Gifts and cards clutter living room corners, reminding me of our Sunday celebration.

Last Sunday, Sam, his friend Micah, and a gifted cellist named Michael led worship during the Baccalaureate service. So even though Sam graduates today (in a mere seven hours) we partied after the service. 

This is Sam warming up before putting on black pants and tie.


This is Sam and Micah during the service.



Of all the graduation events I've attended in the last month, Baccalaureate was by far my favorite. I didn't even know Sam could sing and play the guitar a year ago. He held out on me and surprised our whole family by singing an anthem at our Sunday morning San Destin worship service last June.

He was inspired because he'd been asked to lead worship with Micah at their FCA meetings this year. Watching him sing Sunday was truly a gift.

Later, several of his Bible study friends stopped by our porch party. During a lull in the action, Jessica, my niece, asked me if I would support egg cracking fun one more time. She smacked eggs on Nathan's head just a few months ago during his birthday party. Bringing them out again seemed apropos.

She justified the fun based on a tradition I started years ago, when my boys completed first and third grade. Having survived my first Merry Month of May as a single mom of two school aged children, I could hardly contain my "school-is-out" joy. As we stood in the kitchen, I tried a prank. I made a fist and gently knocked it on Nathan's head, wanting him to think I was cracking an egg instead.

He didn't buy it.

So I got out a real egg.

When I gently tapped the real egg on his head, it actually cracked. I didn't mean for it to crack; didn't intend to be stuck with a partially destroyed egg in my hand while in an unpredictable state of mind. But there I was, facing two ready-to-pounce boys with an egg that couldn't go back in the refrigerator.

So I did the only thing I could do. I lifted it high and cracked it on my own head. It was therapeutic, freeing, and stunned my children. Nathan ran around looking for a camera while Sam stood in awe asking over and over, "Mommy, why did you do that?"

I doubled over in laughter as the yolk slid from my head to my shoe.

For years after, we cracked eggs on our heads on the last day of school. We even had an egg fight with cousins after dark one year.

It's been a while. Life sobered my inner child. But Jessica caught Sam up by handing out five eggs to eager friends. That takes care of eighth grade and beyond.

And he didn't see it coming.

Uncle George took the video while I caught some great still photos. So yes, when Sam picks up egg slime at the end and walks towards the camera, he was headed towards me. I got yoked. A massive chase took place after and retribution is still being planned. Jess will have to watch her back while on our yearly family vacation in a few weeks.

But it was worth it.

Worship was followed by light hearted fun at the end of a long four years. And it was very good.

"Sing to the Lord a new song for he has done marvelous things..." (Ps. 98: 1)




Check out Susan Schreer Davis on Itunes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks!!