Saturday, March 16, 2013

Savoring the Little Things

A neurologist suggested a pain medicine change about a month ago. Over the next few weeks, I stopped the two pain meds I'd been taking, and allowed Effexor to do its thing. I'm different now. Calmer and pain free. But almost so calm, it's easier to rest than to push to do the extras - like writing.

As soon as the migraine medicine Topamax was eliminated, I slept through the night without the jarring anxious thoughts that used to wake me around 3 am. What a relief. Knowing scripture commands that we do not worry, I longed for my middle of the night thoughts to calm. Effexor has helped.

Amitriptyline was the next to go. It was first prescribed for me over ten years ago by a doctor at the Mayo clinic in Minnesota. I traveled north after local doctors couldn't offer an explanation for severe wrist pain. The cause remained unclear, but the prescription eased the pain. It made me quite sleepy, though, especially when Baclofen was added to combat my spastic legs five years later.

So in time, I asked for a change. Two years ago, that change involved Topamax, which I could only handle at a very small dosage because it increased anxiety. I didn't realize how much it had affected me till I stopped it a month ago.

It's much easier to savor the little things now.

I don't write about them much, but I teach close to twenty students a week. On Tuesdays my teaching day ends with nine-year-old Sophia. I wait till the end of her lesson to sing The Candy Man. Harmonizing with her young voice as she bounces to the music melts my worries every time.




On Thursdays I meet with Landon who has nailed his new piece every week for the last month. His enthusiasm has fueled my own and helped me value what I do. Because in my self scripted life, I was Amy Grant by now, traveling the world and performing my songs to sold out crowds.

My left ankle is quite swollen instead, and both legs unstable. So I didn't even try to fly to Philly this weekend with my sister and mom to see my aging grandparents. My boys made an unexpected trip home, though, so I'm savoring time with them... along with the fresh flowers on my table from Judy and Sue (pictured above); an unexpected email from a friend; new paint on my bedroom walls; Kalso Earth Shoes that disguise my awkward gait; a closet full of colorful batik dresses from our Go Fish store; and a husband who stays by side and loves me when I can't maneuver far.

Sophia's favorite line from our song states, "Who can take tomorrow, dip it in a dream, separate the sorrow and collect up all the cream? ... The candy man can 'cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good."

The words may seem simplistic. But then again, when "you separate the sorrow and collect up all the cream", there's much to savor in life and even love to pass along.

I can't claim to have conjured up a good attitude all on my own. Yes, the right drug helped. It's not an easy journey down here. Which is why Paul encouraged us by writing, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus..." (Phil. 4: 6-7)

Helping us savor the little things that keep life very much worth living.

No comments: