Saturday, March 30, 2013

What It's Really All About


Mosaic Cross

In less than four hours fifteen family members will arrive to celebrate my oldest son's twenty-first birthday. I love parties; love hosting gatherings in my home. But as a struggling mitochondrial disease afflicted mom, it's not easy.

I about went over an edge two days ago. My brother fainted in a restaurant and spent a night in the hospital. My family was (and still is) waiting for the results of a second biopsy on a growth in my mother's mouth. And my surgery foot hurt in a new way that had me close to that edge by each days end.

It all seemed a little much.

After a doctor visit and MRI of my foot yesterday, I sat in a pharmacy waiting to pick up pain meds. My podiatrist thinks I've suffered a stress fracture and encouraged me to take the pills. My knee scooter and I were settled in when an older gentleman with dark sunglasses sat next to me and said, "Do you mind if I ask why you're not just using crutches?"

"Not at all. Give it a spin," I replied,"it's a lot more fun than crutches." He didn't accept my offer so I continued, "I battle a neuro muscular condition and had to have ankle surgery recently that required six weeks of no weight bearing. I couldn't have maneuvered on just crutches. This was much easier."

"Oh," he replied, "That makes sense. Will you get better?"

Surprised by his candor I replied, "Probably not. But it's OK. God keeps taking care of me."

"I've been sick a lot lately," he offered. "But I'm a lot older than you."

 "What's up with you?" I asked.

He went on to describe a litany of physical ailments that have plagued him the last six months -a recent heart attack being the scariest. As I listened to him and thought about the fact I don't even know what I've done that could have caused a stress fracture, I blurted, "You know what? The good thing is today really counts. Good Friday really matters!"

He told me he goes to church but lives alone and worries about how much longer he can handle life on his own. I didn't have an answer for his concerns. But the closest I got to a Good Friday service yesterday was the few moments I shared with that man, knowing we could both handle what lies ahead because of what happened on the cross.

My doctor just called. The MRI showed a stress fracture so I get to heal all over again. But that time with my pharmacy friend reminded me again of what it's really all about.

There's a battle down here; a battle for our hearts. Which is why the Apostle Peter commanded us to, "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings." (1 Pet. 5: 8 - 9)

That enemy of our souls wants nothing more than to convince us, through all the crazy stuff that happens every day, that the God of heaven does not love us. And yet the God of heaven sent His son to die a brutal death as payment for every life that walks this earth - yours and mine included.

Believing that divine truth every day, no matter the pain and suffering in our lives (or the lives around us) requires courage and rising above what we feel in the moment.

He loves us. The God of heaven cares deeply about our lives. Good Friday counts. And Easter Sunday even more.

A friend of mine from high school lost her husband to ALS last Sunday morning. The mother of five posted this on her Facebook page only a few hours later,

"'For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.' (John 3:16) My sweet husband went to be with Jesus this morning. Thank you Lord for granting him eternal life and for giving me peace knowing that he is with you. I love you honey and will be with you again before you know it."

That's faith in the moment; a hurting one choosing the eternal perspective that allows the peace that passes understanding to transform the darkest of nights.

 It's time for a shower and pain medicine. And for a party to celebrate life. Because "God so loved the world..."

2 comments:

amylake said...

So sorry about the stress (and the fracture)!

Love your perspective. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading, Amy!! Happy Easter!!