Friday, September 4, 2009

The August Butterfly Dance

Has anyone noticed the number of butterflies dancing in mid air the past few weeks? We spent the weekend in south Georgia for a family wedding. As we traveled country roads, I was amazed at the number of yellow and orange butterflies flitting about.

Years ago, I noticed that Pear Trees shed their blossoms in mid-March, creating what I affectionately dubbed, "March Snow." Just about the time their smell overtook their beauty, a storm would blow the tiny blossoms off the trees, covering my driveway in a blanket of white. I still look forward to March snow; to one last twirl of white before winter is gone and spring grabs hold.

And after driving through a canopy of dancing color this weekend, my antenna will be up next August to see if the phenomenon repeats itself. I have a feeling I've overlooked the late summer occurrence for too many years.

Dancing butterflies stir my deep places. And they've needed stirring lately. Our first genetic test came back negative in early August which means Sam will undergo a muscle biopsy next week--if his recent cough goes away. It's only minor surgery. But the mom in me has felt a little overwhelmed by it all lately.

I know there are much worse things. Even Sam recently said he doesn't like visiting his neurologist's office since we see some fairly sick kids while waiting. Perspective is a good thing.

But if God brings us to mind, I'd appreciate your prayers. Sam needs to get healthy this weekend so the biopsy can take place Sep. 10th at 9 am.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made..." (Rom. 1:20)

...especially as it relates to dancing butterflies.

No comments: