Saturday, September 19, 2009

Me and My EMG

Sam and I had abnormal EMG's in June. An EMG tests the health of your muscles. So basically, the test showed our muscles aren't quite healthy.

Two and a half months later, I saw an adult neurologist at Emory. He told me I needed to have another EMG to validate the results of the first one. When I left Emory on August 26th, I was scheduled for an EMG on Monday, Sep. 14th.

A week later, a scheduler from Emory called and told me they had to postpone the appointment due to an emergency. The test was bumped to Sep. 24th until she called again last Friday trying to delay it more. After my urgent pleas, she agreed to perform the test on Tuesday, Sep. 22nd.

I'm not holding my breath.

"It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority." (Acts 1: 7)

The delays concern me since I'm not sure what shoes I will wear once the weather turns cold. My ankles are weird and not accommodating many shoe options. And the one pair that didn't hurt my ankles, in time, hurt my back.

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these." (Matt. 6: 28-29)

Some weeks I must pace my driving. Some days I must choose to sit still. Some times I must run my fingers along a wall to keep balance while moving forward. It's comical in an upside down sort of way.

"Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'" (2 Cor. 12: 8-9)

I turn forty in a few weeks and never dreamed I'd be facing an odd muscle thing at this point in my life. And I guess until my test on Tuesday, I can hold out hope for another diagnosis. But the biggest hope I can grab hold of far surpasses normal legs, warm shoes, or medical understanding.


For "he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." (Isaiah 53: 5)

That's the crazy, cool part. Right now, right here, through Jesus Christ, we are healed.

2 comments:

Francesca Watson said...

Hey stranger - so sorry to hear that you are still dealing with this physical challenge. I prayed for you after reading this post, and would love an update when you have a minute.

Love -

Francesca

Unknown said...

Francesca... I just got this today. So good to hear from you. I thought of you this morning. Thought I should find you on facebook. Great web site. Love the background art.

Yes, things are a bit troubling. Still one day at a time!