Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Swimmer Sam at County Finals

When all was said and done.
He sat at the kitchen table eating a plate of pasta. The high school county prelims swim meet had finished only an hour before and he had made it to the finals. But the cough was back. "Sam don’t you think I should take you to the doctor in the morning?" "I guess so,” he mumbled without much of a fight.

By eleven thirty Saturday morning it was clear we’d made the right choice. After months of chronic coughing and sinus issues, Sam's blood oxygen levels registered a little low. They weren’t scary low. But they were low enough that the doctor ordered steroids and extra asthma medicine and sent Sam went home to rest for county finals.

Sam told me later he almost didn't go. He sounded so bad that I wouldn’t have blamed him. But he was on a relay team and didn't want to give up. So by 4:30 in the afternoon, he was back at the pool, preparing to swim.

Compared to most kids with (and without) mito, Sam is a thriving teenager. But ever since I can remember, he's wanted to be an athlete. He’s played baseball, basketball, lacrosse, and even run cross country. But he found his place when he started swimming. He's a good swimmer despite numerous setbacks. But I've watched him struggle all season as his times lagged behind his personal bests set last spring. I know he hasn't felt well. But it's been hard to know what to do. Saturday's doctor visit brought the most clarity we'd had in a while. But he still had to swim.

So I prayed. I texted my family and asked them to pray. I contacted friends on Facebook and asked them to pray.

So when Sam's relay team took second in County, I knew it was more than just steroids. And when I stood by the pool and prayed in earnest as he swam the hundred-breast, I pleaded with God to just let him make that state cut one more time.

And he did. One more time.

A lot of swimmers had victories Saturday night. Sam didn't set a new record or swim the fastest. But he fought against his body… and won.

And this mom was thankful and proud.

Sam and his cousin Zac Schreer, Pope's assistant swim coach. Pretty cool family ties.

KMHS 200 yd medley relay team 2nd place in county


Proud Papa Schreer, a long time official!



No comments: