Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Stained Glass Healing (part 2)

I submitted the original version of this story to an editor back in 2005. Lifeway's Journey Magazine surprised me by publishing it a year or two later. It's now saved on my website. So for a full read, check out: A Stained Glass Healing

For an abbreviated, updated version, continue here.

In January of 1996, about ten months before my first husband died, we started attending a church that was constructing a new building. A talented artist, Jason offered to design and construct a stained glass window for the new structure. Having never done stained glass work, he found a class, signed up, and was soon joined by his artistic father. The duo attended classes twice a week.

Within a month, however, brain tumor symptoms intensified and Jason began a ten month neurological decline that took him to heaven's door before the church window could be constructed.

As his hands grew weak and unsteady that spring, he designed and almost finished this piece for me; his father completing what he could not. It has hung in my kitchen ever since - one last Mother's Day gift from the father of my children.

As we held to hope during that long summer, Jason's dad purchased the necessary tools to have a stained glass studio in his home. The tools lay silent for over a year after Jason died the following November. But in time, Papa not only started making his own pieces again, but he worked side by side (for no compensation) with a local stained glass artisan who installed windows in churches all over the Atlanta area.


He crafted this piece as a house warming gift after we moved into our new home in February of 1998. This angel watched over my boys and me - a reminder of healing and strength.

As school came to a close last May, Nathan called from UGA, "Mom! I know what I want to do this summer during my free time. I want to learn how to do stained glass with Papa." And he did. Nathan spent a lot of time in Papa's basement studio cutting glass and crafting his first piece of work.


I don't' have a photo of it here. But I do have a photo of the three angels he came home with today. Cause he's been busy working with Papa during Christmas break, making gifts for friends at school.

For a moment this afternoon, three generations of stained glass hung on my kitchen windows.

And it was good.

No comments: