Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Yo Yo Living, God, and Dementia

The beauty in this photo is my 91 yr.old Grandma. She's supported our family, attending school functions and shows for her grandchildren (and great grandchildren) since she moved to Atlanta over thirty years ago. Last Sunday she attended my nephew's Suzuki graduation recital at Spivey Hall, even though she struggles to walk... and to remember what day it is.

A little over a year ago, my son was involved in a small traffic altercation. The damage wasn't bad, but the air bags went off, totalling the old car. So I bought Grandma's 1996 Nissan Maxima since she hadn't driven in over a year. We signed papers at a Mexican restaurant a week after the check cashed. Within a month, however, the calls started.

Grandma wanted her car back. She needed to go... somewhere.

She called my sister. She called my dad. She called me. One day she'd want the car back, the next she'd remember she sold it. After a month of panicked calls, I decided to give her the main set of keys. They didn't work and I hoped they would offer a sense of security. My plan worked until she remembered she sold the car. Then she'd want me to drive back and take the keys.

This yo yo living went on for six months. She'd have the keys, then want me to come get them. One time I showed up to retrieve them and she changed her mind.

As I pulled out of her assisted living place that night, I realized I was getting a taste of what the God of heaven goes through every day. We give Him the keys. Then take them back. Then beg Him to come take them again only to keep them close to our vest. Thank goodness He never tires of our demented ways and patiently waits for us to call to Him again.

I really want Him to reign supreme in me. I want Him to have the keys.

"Oh to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be..." (Robert Robinson)

No comments: