Friday, March 30, 2012

Twenty Years for Nathan and the Same for Me

Nathan celebrated 20 years yesterday. The day was about him. Not me. But when I thought about his birthday a week ago, his twenty years symbolized mine - my twenty years as a mom.

I'd never before connected 
the two.

As I cleaned and straightened the house in preparation for a family celebration tomorrow, I figured out why. For twenty years, my boys well being remained a top priority. Above music. Above writing. Above teaching. As a single parent for ten of those years (and a sick parent for more than five), I felt it had to.

So for twenty years I woke up and planned meals. For twenty years I prayed my boys would know the God of heaven. For twenty years I served as a sounding board, an advisor, a disciplinarian, a provider, an encourager, a health coach and so much more.

The anniversary holds even more significance. For in less than five months the younger of my two will pack his bags and move into a dorm at GA Tech. My twenty years of hands on mothering will stop. I will step back even further and offer support from afar.

The thought woke me at 2:40 am Thursday morning, the night after the KMHS swim banquet - Sam's last. Panic kept me from sleep. How does 20 years come to an abrupt halt?

Answers never came.

But when we listened as Nathan sang with the UGA Hodgson Singers the following night, on his birthday, peace calmed my uncertainty.

The music brought tears. Nathan beamed with life. And after twenty years, a mother couldn't ask for more than to watch her son grow into a man, seeking God and singing strong.

So I celebrate Nathan. And just this once, on his birthday, I celebrate me and twenty years and all that time just being mom.

Don, Aunt Laura, Josh, Drew, Grandma, Nathan, Nana, Great Grandma, Aunt Deb, and Papa

"My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding— indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God." (Pr. 2: 1-5)

Check out Susan Schreer Davis on Itunes -

No comments: