Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Day at the Cross

I lived a life changing day yesterday. Spent ninety minutes (or more) in an MRI machine before driving home to attend a viewing of the Passion of the Christ. A friend of Sam's paused the movie as each scene changed so we could read the scripture references that applied.

"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities..." (Is. 53: 5)

I wept. Sam said he teared up once. When Jesus, bloody and scarred and barely able to carry His cross, looked at Mary and said, "Behold, I make all things new."

Deformed. Beaten. Condemned. He made all things new.

"...the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed." (Is. 53 : 5)

Tired beyond tired, I almost skipped out on our evening plans. But I'm so glad I didn't. After a quick dinner, we left for Secret Church.
If you've never heard of Secret Church, check out the link. Don and I managed five of the seven hour pod cast on the cross and suffering. By midnight we caved. But my soul was nourished.

"We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."  (Is. 53: 6)

My suffering. Your suffering. Nothing compared to His.

I won't know the results of my MRI's for a week or so. And even then, this disease I battle will probably leave doctors unsure about a treatment plan.

But it's nothing. Really. My tired legs compared to his agony on the cross? They're nothing.

I'll grumble again, I'm sure. I will wrestle in the quiet, not wanting to rest but rather climb a mountain.

But today, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Gal. 2: 20)

And this Easter, that's more than enough.

He is risen. He is risen indeed.

No comments: