Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Reaching for Spring

Nathan walked The Color Run Palm Sunday weekend with Jenny and Haley. I loved the end result. He arrived home glowing like spring.

When he walked in the door, my cheeks radiated from a battle with our charcoal grill. Searing flames and I had fought for hamburger rights. I almost won. Melted cheese disguised the rest and Sam went out and bought two rotisserie chickens just in case.

Twenty-one people filled plates and found seats on my covered porch. From five years of age up to 91, we ate hamburgers and salads and enjoyed the sweet taste of spring.





Then I made good use of the icing Sam wiped off his cupcake.




And Jess and Jenny cracked two eggs on the birthday boy.




I was punch tired, but grateful for the memories.

On Easter weekend, two little bunnies hunted for eggs after the Davis clan ate on the same covered porch.



Total sweetness.

Sometimes spring is all around us. Like right now. The blooming colors. The bunny ears. Resurrected life.  

But sometimes I have to reach for spring. When anxiety builds and change allows for uncertainty, I have to fight for it even. It was easy to feel spring the last two weekends. To see suffering for what it is, a temporary winter that bursts into colored landscapes with cool breezes.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven..." (Ecc. 3:1)

A time for winter. A time for spring. Combining the two takes something different. A God something different.

"Blessed are those whose strength is you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools. They go from strength to strength till each appears before God in Zion." (Ps. 84: 5-7)

That's what I'm working towards.

Check out Susan Schreer Davis on Itunes!

No comments: