Saturday, April 14, 2012

And the Wall Came Down

A few weeks ago I had a conversation with someone who said, "I know a lot of folks who are up against walls and in desperate need of breakthrough."

I was part of that group.

Days later, I went to the medical building where I see doctors and pick up prescription meds. A building I've been in and out for over fifteen years. I know its halls framed by familiar walls well.

Sometime last year, renovations began. When completed, the building will be at least three times it's current size. While I knew construction was underway, the changes took place behind those walls, so I didn't give them much thought.  

On that sunny day not long ago, I walked in the back entrance and headed to the elevator. The first floor unchanged. When I stepped onto the second floor, however, expecting to see familiar framework in place, another world opened instead.

The second floor wall was gone, opening to the grand foyer below with shiny floors, bright colors, and immaculate decor. For a moment I thought I was in a sci-fi movie where someone had flipped a switch and transported me to an alien world.

But since I don't believe in aliens, my mind soon acclimated to the change and basked in the beauty behind the wall.

I loved that moment.

"When the trumpets sounded, the people shouted, and at the sound of the trumpet, when the people gave a loud shout, the wall collapsed; so every man charged straight in, and they took the city." (Joshua 6: 20)

As I peered over the railing that day, I was encouraged. Walls come down. Things change. And there's new life on the other side.

That reassurance carried me till personal change took place. Change only God could do.

The wall came down and I remembered His many promises. And as I've thought about it more, I've been reminded that one day another wall will fall and, "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Rev. 21: 4)

Check out Susan Schreer Davis on Itunes

No comments: