Monday, September 30, 2013

A Song for Don

My dad called about six months ago and asked if I would join his Barbershop Quartet during a benefit concert for The Higher Standards Foundation that took place last week. I jumped at the opportunity since I hadn't sung in a concert in years. But with back surgery and school starting, I didn't put much thought into the event for quite some time.

About a month ago, however, a chorus started forming in my mind. The first line of a verse stayed with me for weeks but never grew on it's own to more... until last week. Because the more I thought about the opportunity, the more I realized it was the perfect time to surprise Don with a song.

And so I did. I closed my three song set with a song for us.

I finished composing it with barely enough time to solidify the part in my fingers and head. So it's not exactly what I planned. But my sister recorded the debut and due to how special it was doting on my man, I'll put perfection aside and share the video.

But first, the words:

Finally Finding Me
 
(Vs. 1)
Who knew, everything that we'd do through.
Who knew all the hurtful things we'd say.
But the years kept rolling by and we kept trying
So I can truly say that my tears are drying
 
(chorus)
Cause I'm finally finding me after all this time
I'm finally finding me right here by your side
I'm finally finding me here in your arms
And it doesn't matter what all went wrong
Love kept us strong.
 
(vs. 2)
Who knows the day ahead when morning dawns
Who knows what life will bring our way
But as we keep holding hands as we're sipping coffee
I think that we can face any coming heartache
 
(chorus)
(bridge)
We will laugh, we will cry, we will sing
We will dance, till we reach, eternity (chorus)
 

No comments: