Sunday, September 22, 2013

More about Me and this Fatigue Causin' Disease

Once again, I missed the moment. Mitochondrial Disease Awareness Week officially passed with few entries from this blog. Why? Because my right ankle ceased working about ten days ago and my week filled with doc appointments and such.  In two or three weeks I'll undergo my third surgery of the year.

No. I'm not excited.
 
When Dr. Tucker, my ankle surgeon, first pulled on my LEFT ankle last December and declared it in need of a reconstruction, my RIGHT ankle was fine. Strong. In tact. After pushing my scooter for three months and carrying the weight of mobility, however, Dr. Tucker declared the RIGHT ankle unstable.

While the left healed, the right went defunct.

There was enough reason to wonder if back issues caused the decline, so neurology, neuro-surgery, and podiatry doctors pointed me towards the back fusion. That was June 18th. While my legs move forward with greater ease due to the procedure, I walked till my right ankle quit working a week ago last Wednesday night.

I'd been concerned. Even saw the podiatrist a month ago after a bruise the size of a half dollar appeared on the back of my ankle after a walk on the porch. But he remained hopeful so I kept walking. With a brace. Till one day I counted the hours till I got home to the boot.

It's hard to describe, but without the star wars boot holding my ankle and lower leg in place, it feels like my limb is unhinged. Loose at every joint. Meaning, it's time for a reconstruction... again.

Many young children with mito disease receive daily sustenance from gastro-tubes carried in back packs. An adult friend of mine suffers with serious lung and immunology issues. Others live with autism, vision loss, debilitating fatigue, severe nerve pain, and much more. The symptom list is long and varied.

So the fact my joints give out is not such a big deal in the big scheme of things.

But I battle concern about how my LEFT ankle will respond to months of extra strain. The hope is that it will hold; that the cadaver tendon will prove able. It likes my new purple, black, and white running shoe which I purchased (instead of writing!) after my left leg ached one night this week.

But only time will tell.

So if you think of me will you pray? Pray that Strength Will Rise. That God's power will fuel my muscles enough to get through another surgery. And that I will have wisdom concerning when to rest and when to push forward. It's a delicate balance. A hard one to live.

"Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40: 30-31)

No comments: