Monday, September 16, 2013

What Mitochondrial Disease Means to Me...and Others

I sang with our worship team yesterday morning. I haven't attempted such a thing in over a year and there's a reason why. I have mitochondrial disease.

Mitochondria power our cells, meaning they fuel our bodies. When you have mitochondrial disease, your mitochondria don't power very well. And things go awry.

When I smuggled Bibles into China years ago, we walked down dark streets one night to visit an illicit underground church. Dimly lit apartments added to the heavy oppression I felt as we snuck down the almost black alleyway. Thirty watt bulbs did little to show the way.

Some days it feels like I live in one of those dimly lit rooms. And it's hard to shine; hard to live fully.

To prepare for singing from 7:15 am - 1:15 pm Sunday morning, I rested all day Saturday. In bed over half the day resting. And when we were done, I ate a small lunch and crashed for another two hours and didn't let myself even run a small errand, knowing I could pay for it later this week.

I often look good when I'm out. Hair fixed. Make up on. Bright colored clothes. Dangling earrings. But there's a lot of planning that goes into how I live. A lot of limits that must be adhered to or I'll crash. My body will stop going forward.

While I struggle daily, weekly, monthly, there are many whose fight is much worse. I'll close today with a video introducing you to some them. The background is the accompaniment track to a song I wrote. A full chorus (with me singing) plays at the end. I'll highlight the entire song another day this week. But for now, meet some brave souls who live, smile, and overcome every day.



No comments: